You know the "two of 'ems" kid I spoke of in the previous post (the best and only post I've ever written)? Well, on our very last session, as we were saying our tearful goodbyes (tearful on my part, at least), and awkwardly leaning in for a goodbye hug (again, mostly awkward on my part), this kiddo, whose head reached the height of my armpit, decided that I did not smell so pleasant. In a matter-of-fact way, he took my hand and led me to his parent's bathroom, opened the medicine cabinet, and retrieved his father's deodorant (I guess his mother's was not powerful enough for this stench). I couldn't help it- my tears of sadness were now tears of slap-happy laughter. He concluded from my response that his gesture must somehow be funny, and he, too, started laughing hysterically. There we were- one smelly therapist and one helpful child- sealing the chapter of an unexpected rich bond we had developed over the years. Our first session, by the way, was a whoppin' 2 hours of me chasing him through his apartment complex. I guess its appropriate that our time together ended with him chasing me down with his dad's deodorant! I should've taken the hint the first day!
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
I love my job.
So, I am no expert, but I can say that some successes that I have had working with kids can be measured not just developmentally and emotionally, but also through some good ol' fashioned humor. The more ridiculous the moment, the more likely an indication of progress (well, not all the time... though I dare you to think of it this way). This was one of those moments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment